Yoga Therapeutics and Private Yoga Lessons
Why Do Yoga Therapeutics or a Private Yoga Lesson?
Students can come for a private yoga lesson or for a private therapeutics session. A private yoga lesson is for students who would like a specifically-tailored yoga sequence for their home practice. A private therapeutics session is for people who don’t feel ready, confident, or safe attending a yoga class because of their condition. In a private therapeutics session, the student receives an individualized sequence that addresses a challenge, injury, weakness, complication, or disability.
Yoga Therapeutics takes classical yoga postures and adapts them to address specific needs and challenges associated with each condition.
Eileen is a certified yoga therapist by the International Association of Yoga Therapists (IAYT).
The Therapeutic Method:
Yoga Therapeutics targets a number of areas in the body by using a series of individualized postures chosen to address the imbalances in these specific areas. All of the postures are taught in a precise, methodical, and conscious manner. The sequence’s focus is to align the bones, joints, muscles, breath, and consciousness. As a student progresses in personal practice, he or she is progressively able to stay in poses with lightness and ease. Maintaining the posture in a dynamic state allows positive physical and psychological changes to occur, which brings the student closer to peacefulness, equanimity and inner connection.
- We give specific instruction on how yoga can ease various ailments and stress and build strength in all of the systems of the body.
- We use props to adjust the poses for those people who are inflexible or unable to do the pose and also to facilitate more opening.
- We emphasize standing poses to develop strength, stability, and stamina. If a student cannot do the standing poses, we modify with props, as for example, using chairs and the floor and the wall.
- The initial postures address the gross imbalances, and these postures are followed by more challenging poses to address the deeper and more subtle layers of challenge or injury.
- We work with opposing muscular actions and internal traction, which increase disc and joint space while strengthening the muscles.
- Each sequence increases the student’s understanding of how to work correctly.
- Each student is given a sequence to take home and practice. Once the student has worked on the sequence and experienced personal changes, the sequence will be modified to respond to the changes that are taking place.
- Each student is also introduced to passive postures which help to relieve pain. These postures enable the student to learn different actions necessary to maintain stability.
Reasons for a private or therapeutic session:
People come for a private therapeutics session for many different reasons:
- Before surgery
- After surgery
- Recovering from sugery
- Improving energy
- Injury (you may have tried many different modalities and are feeling frustrated because there hasn’t been much improvement)
- Back pain
- Sacroiliac joint pain
- Neck and shoulder problems
- Knee problems
- Depression and anxiety
- Headaches and migraines
- Hormonal challenges
- Dietary challenges
- Gastrointestinal issues
- Body image
- Eating disorders
- Menstrual problems
- Muscle strain
- Strains and sprains
- Breathing irregularities
- High blood pressure
- Low blood pressure
- Strength and fitness
- There are many more!
Whatever your reason for coming to yoga therapeutics, you will receive an hour-long guided and tailored treatment so you can take it home, do your own practice, and learn to heal your body and mind. You will have consistent check ins with the teacher and the sequence will be modified as you continue to see positive results and changes in your body.
Book a Session
Please call 413-584-5054 or email email@example.com if you would like to schedule a private yoga class or lesson with one of the teachers below, and we will respond shortly with our availability. Please note that at least 24 hours’ notice is required to receive a full refund for a scheduled appointment.
Susan Yard Harris