Fragrance Free Safe Zone
Karuna Center For Yoga and Healing Arts is a place where all can enter safely. We request that you make an effort to refrain from using scented products. We understand the challenges of this request; please know that we are all in the process of increasing our awareness and sensitivity.
Please refrain from using any perfumes, colognes, scented oils (even natural ones), or aftershave—when coming to be a part of the space. Less obvious sources of fragrances include cosmetics, laundry detergent, fabric softeners, drier sheets, soaps, shampoos, hand lotions, face creams, deodorants, and sunscreen. Even air freshener, incence, and scented candle aroma can be absorbed in clothing and hair. Sweaters, jackets, and fabric purses will also pick up fragrances.
Thank you for being mindful and making Karuna a welcome space for everyone.
Facts about Chemical / Fragrance Sensitivity:
One in five people experience health problems when exposed to fragrances.
- Chronic Fatigue
- Central Nervous System Dysfunction
- Mood Changes
- Difficulty Concentrating
Did you know?
- A single fragrance can contain anywhere from 10 to several hundred chemicals.
- 95% of chemicals used in fragrances are synthetic compounds derived from petroleum and have not been tested for human toxicity.
- EI (Environmental Illness) is widespread and increasing rapidly.
- Anyone can develop EI or MCS (Multiple chemical Sensitivity). Fragrance Exposure is hazardous to everyone.
- A person with EI or MCS needs to avoid personal use of scented products, but also needs to avoid other people who use scented products or who may have picked up scents from places they have been.
- Second-hand fragrances are as toxic as second-hand smoke.
- Once sensitivity has occurred, even small exposures can trigger debilitating conditions.